To create this image, I decided to place water droplets on the heads of asparagus. It was difficult to place water on the asparagus, as it would roll off or the droplet would burst. But after a few attempts, I was able to get a droplet this large to stay on the subject long enough for me to take a picture.
In this image, the water droplets are on an apple. It was easier to have the droplets stay on this subject, but the tricky part was lighting. Because I used macro-tubes to get close to the subject, they didn’t let as much light into the camera. To compensate, I had to have extra lighting nearby.
These images were much harder to capture in macro than the images with water droplets. The bees move so quickly that I had to take hundreds of photographs just to have a few turn out. For this image, I sat next to a bush with yellow flowers, and stayed focus on one flower in particular until a bee flew into the frame.
I found that ladybugs move a lot slower than bees, making them easier to photograph. This also meant that I could take more time making sure the subject was in perfect focus. I loved taking these pictures because of the contrast between the ladybug’s bright red shell and the green of the plants.
In this last image, I was able to have more of the image in focus by increasing the aperture. The only way this was possible was by setting the camera on a tripod, which helped to lower the shutter speed to compensate for the larger aperture. I love the colors in this image; the bright red and yellow are the focus with the green hidden in the background.